Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Stave 1 : The Ghost of Jacob Marley and the Ghost of Jean-Michel

I used to live in New York.  This was a good idea, and a bad one, as most ideas are.  The problem with New York is, there is so much there, a person can forget What Else Is Out There In The World.  Fortunately, I failed as a New Yorker, and got to see something of What Else Is Out There In The World.

I have not based Jacob Marley on a historical figure.  I was inspired by a photograph I took in New York, on Great Jones Street, of a weathered stone architectural detail.  I think the street address is 43 Great Jones.  I have always thought of it as the Ghost of Jean-Michel Basquiat, who had a studio at the end of the block at number 57.  I always thought that the weathered face should have some kind of ornament fixed on it, or a crown.
So, anyway, I made a sketch from my photograph and built up Jacob Marley's features from the proportions in the stone, and expanded upon the surrounding scrollwork to form the door-knocker, where Marley's Ghost first appears to Scrooge.

3 comments:

  1. May I use this image in a virtual reader's theatre video via Zoom of a production of A Christmas Carol that I am adapting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email is microtheatrebroadwaytavern@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for contacting me - I've sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete